Concrete cutting is one of the most common processes in the construction industry. There was a time when concrete was cut, or at least separated, using hammers and chisels. However, these days, there are a variety of tools that help in making a clean cut in almost no time. However, it’s not as easy as it looks.
A lot of training and experience are required to do it in the right manner. This is why most people prefer hiring the services of a specialist concrete cutting company rather than taking matters into their own hands.
In today’s blog post, we’ll explore the idea of concrete cutting, when it’s needed, prices charged by professionals for concrete cutting as well as some of the most common concrete cutting methods.
What Is Concrete Cutting?
It is the process of using an appropriate concrete cutting saw to cut through concrete or similar hard material. Using a hammer and chisel to cut through concrete isn’t efficient and this is why professionals use a wide range of tools to cut through concrete.
When Is Concrete Cutting Needed?
Concrete needs to be cut for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Creation of control joints in concrete slabs to avoid cracking
- Repairing broken water pipes inside a concrete wall
- Adding space to a structure by cutting out walls
- Making space for HVAC ducts or electrical conduits
- Taking out part of a concrete slab
Professional Concrete Cutting Prices
There isn’t a standard price for concrete cutting as every project is unique. No professional concrete cutting company will give you an estimate before analysing the extent of the project and what kind of tools they will need for the job.
Here’s a list of some of the factors that typically affect the cost of a concrete cutting project:
- Depth of the cut — If it’s a deeper cut, the cost is going to be higher
- Size of the cut — The bigger the size, the bigger the price
- Cut location — The location where the cut needs to be made also affects the price. If the location is difficult to reach, special equipment might be needed and it will take a lot more time. Naturally, cuts that are difficult to access cost more compared to cuts on the floor within reach.
- Equipment needed — If you need more sophisticated or heavy equipment for the project, it will definitely cost more compared to a project where standard machines are sufficient for the job.
- Job location — If the concrete cutting professional has to cover a considerable distance, they will obviously charge more.
- Time taken — The complexity of a job also affects the overall price. A more complex job is going to take more time which naturally translates into a higher cost.
Concrete Cutting Methods
A variety of concrete cutting methods are used depending on the type of project. Here’s a list of the most common concrete cutting methods:
- Core drilling — With this method, a special core drilling bit is used to make cylindrical holes in a concrete structure
- Wire sawing — As the name implies, a wire saw is used for cutting through concrete
- Wall sawing — With this method, a track-mounted concrete saw is used for making a cut on an inclined or vertical concrete surface
- Slab sawing — This method is commonly used for cutting concrete that is horizontal such as concrete slabs, pavements or floors
- Handheld sawing — With this method, a hand-held portable saw is used for making small openings
Overall, there is no standard price for concrete cutting. It depends on a wide range of factors such as the depth of the cut, job location, complexity of the job, equipment required and various other factors. An experienced professional will always give you a detailed estimate based on all such factors.
It is also important for you to choose an experienced and reliable concrete cutting company for the job. An amateur might be cheaper but they don’t know what they are doing. Engaging a professional will not only ensure a better result but they will also make sure there is no structural damage or any other problems while cutting concrete.
Hire a Consultant for Concrete Cutting Services in Sydney
Sydney Sawing & Drilling is the premier concrete cutting service in Sydney. We have decades of experience in the industry. We can help you choose the right concrete cutting method for your specific needs.